SEO is one of those things that mystifies many of us in the marketing field. In simple terms, it’s a head-to-head battle between you, your direct and indirect competitors. The reality is it’s an ongoing fight. So let’s be honest about what SEO really is.
7 Points of SEO “Reality”
- It’s not a once and done thing
- SEO is not a campaign
- Web designers and developers don’t always think in terms of SEO
- It’s not really technical, but it helps to understand the basics
- You don’t have to spend hours researching keywords and phrases
- Google, Bing and Yahoo are not out to get you
- There is no immediate gratification or silver bullet
10 SEO things to “Check”
- Do your webpages have a unique and relevant title tag?
- Do you have proper meta descriptions for each page?
- Do you have a sitemap.xml file?
- Are you using Google, Bing or Yahoo Webmaster tools?
- Do you have a marketing and sales strategy for your website?
- Does your content support your marketing and sales strategy?
- Do you update your content on a regular basis?
- Do you promote your website through Social Media, email or other means?
- Where do you rank now?
- Where does your competition rank now?
With SEO it’s not only about how your website’s design, it’s what your website says about your business.
If you strip away the graphics can you understand what services or products your site offers? Is there information for a customer to make an informed buying decision?
Chances are, if you can’t Google, Yahoo or Bing can’t either. SEO is very competitive it is a fight with your competition it’s not a fight with Google, Bing or Yahoo, they are the referees at the end of the day.
Driving Point: SEO is a constant, don’t let your guard down.